Welcome To My Blog.

"You, yourself as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserves your love and affection." - Buddha

Friday, July 04, 2014

Natural Hair: Protective Style - Kinky Twists

Kinky Twists - Yay
There comes a point during your natural hair journey when you grow tired of the Wash 'n' Goes, Twist Outs, Braid Outs, Finger Coils! For me, this was around month 2 lol! Four months of growth i knew i was edging ever closer to getting my dream braids!
Before i got my twists done, i went to venture on Youtube to see how to maintain them, wear them at night, how i can keep my scalp healthy etc. Didn't find a lot if i am honest with you, so i am basically winging it lol. So far my routine is working!  So let me share my experiences and my routine with you, and hopefully this helps you if you have or are thinking about getting a protective style like this.


What style do you have?
I have in kinky twists, also called Marley Braids.

What hair did you use?
I used kinky hair, as my hair store did not have Marley hair. The hair i used was as close to Marley hair that i could get. £3.99 per pack.

How many packs of hair did you use?
4 1/2 packs of hair were used (medium/small twists) - my head is crazy big lol

Close up of roots.
How are they installed?
From the root to the end of my hair it is braided, then the braiding hair is then twisted to the end.

How did you close the ends?
Wrapped the ends (3 inches) in perm rods, then dipped them in boiled water for 10-15 seconds, removed the rods when hair was dry (dry-ish). The rods curled the end and the water sealed the closure. 

What is your daytime routine?
I apply castor oil to my edges, front and back. And apply oil to the scalp IF needed.

Do you apply water to your hair?
Yes, again if needed. I don't allow my hair to get dry but it doesn't need water & oil everyday my hair was like this before i got this style, so i try to continue the same care.

So what is your night routine?
Same as my day. No changes needed.

How do you wrap your hair?
At night, i sleep on a satin pillowcase as my bonnet is no way big enough for these braids. I also use a satin scarf which i wrap around my head as the braids are in a loose pineapple.

Okay, how have you found the braids?
If you've been following my hair diary CLICK HERE you would know my hair has a very loose curl at the back. This section has been difficult for me. Some braids have fallen out with the hair being so short back there! So I've had to re-braid them every other day. But i knew this would happen as my hair isn't actually that long. Hopefully in a few months when i take these out, the hair will be longer and keep the braid in for longer too.
The rest of the hair has been fine, i really like it.

How long are you keeping them in for?
2 Months i hope, will take them out and leave them out for 3 weeks before i install another protective style.

Will you be washing your braids?
NO! I have no plans on washing my hair, while it is in braids. Did you see the picture of the woman with mould in her hair lol. Thats scared me. I will however apply diluted ACV on my scalp using a cotton ball once a week. to remove any product build up.

Thats it guys, after two months i will update my hair diary with photo's of course!
See you on the next one!

Update:
Okay, so i kept my braids in for just over a month, my scalp needed a good wash. however, i will be installing some more braids in a few weeks time much larger twists, as i will be doing them myself..I will give more details on my hair diary (you can find a link to this on the right handside)

No comments:

Post a Comment